Wednesday, July 25, 2007

One Big Happy Family

Shortly after the previous post, my young friend informed me that numerous people took him aside and asked him, with alarm, "How is it that DJ Pacelli could appear on 'Cistercians Unplugged' even though he wasn't one?"

I would not wish to appear rude to the genuine concern of gentle souls by merely replying, "I can do whatever I want." In fact, it would be false, too, because I cannot do whatever I want; I choose to do what God wants me to do.

DJ Pacelli was asked to appear, by my own personal request, because he wrote some very kind words about me and I thought it might please him very much to have an opportunity to perform with me and my brothers. You should have seen his face - he was delighted.

I would caution people, however, against trying to, as you might say, "suck up" to me, thinking that all you need to do to get into one of our famous jam sessions at the Abbey is to say a few kind words about me. People have tried that at various times but it doesn't work.

In fact, recently, I would say in the past 30 years or so (but what is time to us here?), we've suddenly had an influx of people with guitars and tambourines and all manner of other instruments showing up at the gates of the place, trying convince us to let them join in.

We're monks, people! We don't like noise! People occasionally assume that we dislike fun, simply because we're quiet; there is nothing further from the truth. Nothing pleases us more than to praise God in community and to mirror His love for the World by showing kinkdness kindness (Thank Ron, may graces descend upon you!) and hospitality to our fellow man; we always welcome visitors, but advise them to keep the noise down (even if they are Dominicans), out of respect for our way of life.

Heaven, after all, is large enough for all of us.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely awesome.

Ron Van Wegen said...

"kinkdness" if you say it carefully the mind boggles!

Doctor Mellifluus said...

Dear Ron,

The mind boggles indeed! I'm more accustomed to writing on vellum with a quill than I am at typing on one of these machines. Max Kolbe has been giving me lessons over at The Venerable Bean but I see I still need some more practice. Fortunately I have all of eternity to improve.

God bless you.